Monday, May 01, 2006

Southwark Cathedral



As you cross over London Bridge you could easily miss Southwark Cathedral, which is a shame. It is in the Pool of London, which is is the first point that the Thames could be crossed in pre-history time. Even now, walking the Thames, you feel how life used to go on in the past, with the church cheek by jowl to the markets, the prostitutes and the prisons.

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 8

Comments on "Southwark Cathedral"

 

Blogger Deetsa said ... (06:55) : 

Forgive the ignorance but is Southwark Cathedral actually IN Southwark? I have ancestry there so I was wondering if I was looking at something my ancestors would have seen.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (07:11) : 

Julia - L-Space, plus diverted attention, barbecue and several bottles of wine.

Nerissa - Yes it is in Southwark and this is one of the oldest parts of London. There has been a church on the site for around 1,000 years, with the current bui;ding dating back to the period from 1220 - 1420.

 

Blogger Kala said ... (13:04) : 

Isnt the Thames a famous place for rowing competition? I like the gradeur effect of this amazing looking cathedral

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (15:14) : 

What a grand photograph!

 

Blogger Sam said ... (16:10) : 

I like how you framed this shot - and the sky is so blue!
Lucky you!

 

Blogger ems said ... (22:25) : 

I was sat in the shadow Saturday at Café Brood after stocking up at the market. It's a wonderful building - and the area certainly has a racy past!

 

Blogger Ham said ... (01:23) : 

parisathens - the boat race is further upstream, between Oxford and Cambridge rowing teams.

sam - I cheated - I took this a few weeks ago, probably the last time we had blue sky!

ems - I normally tank up at one of the great "fast food" stalls in the market - venison burger, for example. It's probably high time I posted another pic from it, though!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (05:42) : 

I just love Southwark Cathedral. My fiance proposed to me on a bench overlooking the Thames with the Cathedral in the rear. It was my most favorite spot in all of London, so he took me there to pop the question!

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile