Sunday, May 13, 2007

Try everything in life once....



except for incest and folk dancing - either Thomas Beecham or Oscar Wilde.


But these folk look like they are having such fun - even though it is pouring down with rain. They are the Upstreet Morris Dancers, celebrating 20 years of existence and over 600 years of tradition. More photos here and here.

If you had to describe Morris Dance to a foreigner, you'd have to say something like, "It's dance with bells, handkerchiefs and sticks". Fortunately, these days we have YouTube, so I've posted some videos, here ( here,and here.- These last two failed to upload, I'll try again tomorrow) Well, stuff YouTube, after 8 attempts to upload videos. Now we've got Vimeo who seem reliable, quality is better, so videos are here, here and here

posted by Ham at 00:47 -- Comments here: 8

Comments on "Try everything in life once...."

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (01:02) : 

Oooh really? Does this mean one of them is you Ham? Which one.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (08:45) : 

Ah, no, Lynn. It means I had a little moment and left the text on "My Other Stuff". All sorted now. I'm the one BEHIND the lens.

FYI, by complete coincidence, the "Cartrain" name is just where I am standing.

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (10:44) : 

Oh shame. lol. Looked at the extra pics and the vids. All great but couldn't see any Cartrain sign so didn't see you :(

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (18:09) : 

Well Ham, after seeing this, I'd have to say they probably had a better chance of winning the Eurovision contest than the band that represented the UK - Scooch. Although, I have to admit, I find them quite good!

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (21:02) : 

Michael! There you are. Over here in London! We've been looking for you everywhere and all the while, masquerading as Morris Dancers.

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (22:29) : 

Sorry Lynn, but keeping a low profile, catching up on work (and Life), but couldn't resist Ham's version of the Eurovision runner-ups...

I'll probably be away for quite a while. Don't worry, I'll pop my head back up eventually.

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (01:18) : 

HMM Michael; sounds intriguing. Monica and i are now in competition to find which city you next pop up in (you can email me the answer if you want; she'll never know) LOL. Hope all is well x

 

Blogger Kerry-Anne said ... (14:55) : 

Thanks for completing my education, Ham. I associate Morris Dancers with that episode of Blackadder, where the Morris Dancers cancel and instead he ends up with the Jumping Jews of Jerusalem plus some other miscellaneous entertainment. And now I know that the pictures in my mind weren't too far off the mark. It's kind of a placid version of line-dancing, isn't it? :)

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile