Sunday, January 01, 2006

Should auld aquaintance be forgot...




As I was not in London for the New Year (see My Other Stuff I was faced with a difficulty, what to blog for the first day of the New Year. I've chosen content over style, and present you with another little known scene. This tiled wall is part of a long series in Postman's Park, a stamp-sized piece of grass next to the central post office, EC1, where the postmen can sit for lunch. Within it is a fascinating record of lives lost to save others - ordinary people who would have received a couple of lines write up in the local paper, and then be forgotten. But here they are, more than a hundred years later. I don't know any of them..... but they could be my neighbour, or yours. It seems appropriate for today when we remind ourselves of friends and aquaintances past and present.

Happy New Year, to you all.

posted by Ham at 19:29 -- Comments here: 2

Comments on "Should auld aquaintance be forgot..."

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (21:02) : 

Happy new year Ham. May it be a 2006 filled with lots more wonderful images of London.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (14:06) : 

Thanks, Michael, and best wishes to you and yours as well. I shall be trying to continue what I have started.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile