Sunday, January 29, 2006

Spot the point of interest in this photo



There's a prize if you get it.... a big star and ten house points.

Want a clue? You are looking at the south end of London Bridge, away from the city... and remember I promised you a juicy bit of trivia.

Give up? Look for the spike. Is it just another sculpture? No. In the middle ages London Bridge used to have a drawbridge. And, on the far side, they put people's heads on spikes as a warning. This sculpture was designed in memory of those times. Nobody seems too worried.

(Alternative views on My Other Stuff.)

posted by Ham at 00:42 -- Comments here: 8

Comments on "Spot the point of interest in this photo"

 

Blogger Rob said ... (08:28) : 

Is it the sail of the sailboat?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (15:10) : 

I got it, but more thanks to your title, and the way your picture draws the eye straight to it.

 

Blogger Denton said ... (20:44) : 

Your play on words is good. Does the spike represent a unicorn or just modern art? Does the spike have a name?

 

Blogger Ham said ... (23:17) : 

Stars and Housepoints all round, then. I don't know if the spike has a name, there is no plaque on it, although it is spotlit at night. A quick google confirms the background, but fails to turn up anything more about the spike itself.

 

Blogger Anne said ... (10:46) : 

Hahaha i guess my visuals has not left me yet...got that one first time i looked at the photo!

 

Blogger Jag said ... (15:56) : 

I got drawn to the spike also. But I instantly recognised the location. That office building on the left at the end of the bridge there (is it still a PWC office?) - have you ever wondered why the frontage of that building is designed as it is? I was told years ago (butI can't guarantee that it's true) that the reason for the angled facade leaving a big gap between the pillar and the main bulk of the building is an ancient planning rule which says that you must be able to get an unobstructed view of the dome of St.Paul's from the southern most end of London Bridge.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (17:16) : 

Hi Jag, It wouldbe a wonderful bit of trivia, if it were the case, which it ought to be. Kind of doesn't work, though, because St Pauls is in the other direction, but I wouldn't let that stand in the way of a good story :o) I'll be posting satellite view links soon, and I'll include this in so you can see which way it's going. It used to be a PWC building until they were bought by IBM and the building effectively closed.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (21:47) : 

Trivia, you want trivia? :)

My grandfather was a Freeman of the City of London, something my mother would also be entitled to, apparently. I thought things like that were awarded, but it seems like you have to apply if you qualify on the basis of birth, or whatever. Anyway, she hasn't bothered, for reasons I cannot understand (tounge-in-cheek), because it comes with some 'really useful' rights, like that of being permitted to drive her sheep (if she had any) across this very bridge. :)

Her parish church was St. Pauls and she was confirmed there. In her day, I think they probably still posted heads on those spikes, mind you.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile