Tuesday, February 07, 2006

RAF Air Cadets Church Parade



While I was at St Clements, I discovered that the RAF Air Cadets were having their annual church parade. I went around the corner to where they were preparing, and I was really moved by the dedication and concentration these kids were putting into their parade, and the satisfaction they got back of a job well done. You could see that they were all striving to be the best on parade, and not let their side down. My favorite shot of the day wasn't of the cadets and is on My Other Stuff.

posted by Ham at 00:06 -- Comments here: 4

Comments on "RAF Air Cadets Church Parade"

 

Blogger Eric said ... (06:10) : 

Why a "church parade"?

 

Blogger Brinley Hawkins said ... (12:55) : 

I remember my days in the ATC, it was great. All that flying, gliding, shooting, weeks away at an RAF station every year, learning about rifles and machine guns, visit to airshows, and all free.

In my days there were no wolly pullys, we had the old battledress tops, and they were known as hairy marys, and for good reason.

In the RAF, all, things are called parades, a sort of general muster, here are a few that I remember :-

sick parade
pay parade
fatigues parade


Brin

 

Blogger Ham said ... (14:05) : 

Eric, Manuel, Church Parades are part of the British psyche. They happen all over the country every sunday usually with the Scouts& Girl Guides there are often larger, more elaborate parades, especially in Norhtern Ireland. What they do is, well, parade.

Manuel, LOL, of course, that would make the others, caddys.

Brin, great remeniscences.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (17:49) : 

Yes well wolly pullys wateva, bt i was in that parade nd it was very kl. Eric it is a church parade bcoz it is 1) on the way 2 a church and 2) because there is a church service that celebrates the cadets- it is a 'thanksgiving parade' to be precise person who wrote this page

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile