Thursday, March 02, 2006

London's Pearly Kings and Queens



The Pearly Kings and Queens of London have a history going back over a hundred years. They make their own costumes and add a lot of colour to London, as well as doing a lot of good work for charities.

posted by Ham at 00:05 -- Comments here: 9

Comments on "London's Pearly Kings and Queens"

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (05:34) : 

Interesting...have never seen or heard of this here.

 

Blogger Rodney said ... (06:35) : 

Ham,

Yes, interesting costumes!

also

I have changed my blog name from
http://ocdailyphoto.blogspot.com to
http://alisoviejodailyphoto.blogspot.com if you can change your link I would appreciate it.


Thanks

 

Blogger Anne said ... (09:23) : 

Pearly kings and queens...are they always oldies?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:12) : 

They look really odd :-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:31) : 

oh I got you !!! It's for Carnival! I saw the clown behind :-)

 

Blogger Amande said ... (14:18) : 

Whaoooooo that is rock & roll!

 

Blogger Ham said ... (00:34) : 

lisi, rodney marjorie et al - these costumes are unique to London . I took this photo on the day of The Taxi Driver's Party; I'll put some more on My Other Stuff. They turn up to all manner of charitable and community events - all at their own expense.

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (05:18) : 

This so cool Ham. I really enjoyed reading the history as I've heard the term before, seen the people, but never put it all together. Amazing how charity can bring out the best in most of us! Great idea for a post.

 

Blogger Pierre said ... (07:03) : 

And don't they speak this kind of east-end slang, don't remember the name... but for instance you say "apple and pears" instead of stairs, and so on...

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile