Friday, April 28, 2006

Battersea Power Station



Battersea Power Station is an enigmatic place. A derilict site with a landmark Art Deco building in the heart of London.

So what to do with it? Pink Floyd tied a pink pig to it. the locals had plans for it. It has astonishing visual impact. And now, it is going to be an Entertainment Complex. Maybe.

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 5

Comments on "Battersea Power Station"

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (06:02) : 

Thank you for posting this Ham. I may be strange, but I passed this every day on my way to work between London and Gatwick and always found it an amazing building. I think the key word is "maybe" in your post, but I do hope they do something with it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (09:14) : 

I have a French musician friend who told me that Pink Floyds "Animals" was the album that got him into music in a serious way when he was a teenager. On his way to his 1st gig in London he got the train into Victoria and he saw Battersea for the 1st time. He said his jaw dropped as he didn't know it was a real building and couldn't believe he was seeing the building that was so closly linked with his decision to become a musician.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:52) : 

I -always- try to embrace the view when taking the Eurostar to London, even when I'm on the wrong side of the wagon.
Ham, has a real pig balloon been tied to the power station, or was it a (scissors and glue not Photoshop) montage?

 

Blogger Ham said ... (23:51) : 

Great stories, all. Peter, I love the idea that this unseen channel under the Thames kept so many warm. Fred - it was for real. See the link on the word "pig" for details. I wish I had a photo of the pig floating away.....

 

Blogger Ham said ... (14:16) : 

Darren, I love the idea of listening to those dums in an old powerhouse, brilliant!

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile