Tuesday, April 11, 2006

The Egyptian Trail - I've found a sphinx!



Blow me down, a Sphinx in London, well I never! A lot of people will know where we are by now, location is revealed tomorrow. But can you see those chips in the plinth? They were caused by the explosion of a bomb dropped on London, from a Zeppelin in 1917.

I'm on holiday this week, so posting happens courtesy of Manuel at San Francisco Daily Photo

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 7

Comments on "The Egyptian Trail - I've found a sphinx!"

 

Blogger Anne said ... (07:55) : 

Nice find Ham! And beautiful shot!

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (09:46) : 

Egypt in London, and outside of the Museum...interesting, Ham...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:02) : 

If you walk into the park by Cleopatra's Needle, there is also a little camel - a memorial to the Camel Corps, many, if not most, of whom fought in Egypt. Does that count?

 

Blogger Brian Dubé said ... (13:07) : 

Great picture, the sphinx in the softer sunlight of London.
L

 

Blogger Philipp said ... (21:00) : 

I'm really anxious to know why they put a sphinx there! Hope it wasn't a german Zeppelin- but I'm afraid it was...

 

Blogger Anna said ... (07:40) : 

Très surprenant grâce à ton angle de vue. Great shot !

 

Blogger LalaBrown said ... (23:01) : 

This is one of the two sphinxes in embankment London guarding "Cleopatra's Needle". The damage on the sphinx's pedestal was caused by a bomb dropped on London by Germany on Sept. 4 1917, during world war I. (I'm doing a project on it in school)

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile