Sunday, April 23, 2006

I'm just a sweet transvestite...



The Royal Court Theatre is 50 years old! This is in Sloane Square (like yesterday) and where I saw the first run of the Rocky Horror show in 1975. The composite pic on My Other Stuff iincludes my copy of the "Time Warp" instructions which dropped from the ceiling. Don't know the Rocky Horror story? - then this is the shortest precis (performed by bunnies in 30 seconds).


BBC Radio is running a series of plays to commemorate the 50th anniversary, and you can hear the last one here.

Let's do the Time Warp again!

I'd also like to bring to mind another play I saw at the Royal Court - Bent, with Ian McKellen. It's hard to remember general attitudes back in 1979, but it's fair to say that if I thought of homosexuals in any terms, it was in a derogatory sense. The world has changed immesurably for the better since then, but I can still feel the intensity and power of Ian McKellen's performance from those years ago, and it was that experience that began the process of increasing my understanding. If you are wondering if I am exaggerating, Ian himself had not "come out" and it appears that the play was a significant influence in his life, too.

posted by Ham at 00:35 -- Comments here: 4

Comments on "I'm just a sweet transvestite..."

 

Blogger Brian DubĂ© said ... (15:13) : 

The theater in England has had a lot of influence on everyone around the world, the comic and the dramatic, in this regard for social issues and many others, too...one of the most important aspects of England for most people outside of it, I think. Like food as a symbol and cultural envoy for the French...
L

 

Blogger Jean said ... (18:02) : 

Love the write up!

 

Blogger Denton said ... (22:16) : 

The bunnies were funny.

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (06:05) : 

Ham, this was great! I couldn't figure out how you could make the links between the photo and the subject, but now I see! The 30 second version is hilarious!

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile