Friday, May 12, 2006

Gaslight in The Mall



I've moved 100 yards from yesterdays photo, but over 100 years, because The Mall is lit by gaslights, still. I don't think many Londoners realise it, but do visit after dark because it gives the area a wonderful old world feel. The phrase "In the limelight" comes from when the brightest light on a stage was a centrally places gas light, with a lime mantle. A couple of days ago, Hong Kong Daily Photo showed us a gas light there, as well.

posted by Ham at 00:28 -- Comments here: 5

Comments on "Gaslight in The Mall"

 

Blogger la femme said ... (03:47) : 

I didn't know that- thank you for the picture, I'd like to see those lights in person.

 

Blogger Louise Starkey said ... (10:17) : 

Interesting. Does someone have to walk round and light each one daily?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:02) : 

Have you heard about the light just off the Strand, this is lit by methane gas fed by the sewers underneath ?

 

Blogger Ham said ... (11:59) : 

eurobrat - visit Buckingham Palace after dark, and you will!

Louise - these days they are auto lighing, although I have a vague recollection of seeing one being lit as a child.

Anon - There were a few such lights in London, but I beleive that they are now all run off mains gas

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (14:38) : 

those rows of lamps are beautiful, but a bit too dim to me...gas lamp and blue house, HK and UK are still connected??
:-)

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile