Monday, May 08, 2006

Green grows my garden-O



Gardens. I suspect the British afinity for them is because we are so crowded on our little island - especially in the cities - and we value our little space and wish to make the most of it. I like gardens - they are places you can drink Gin & Tonics, amongst other things. We have some fantastic gardens in the UK, grand ones like Sissinghurst, my favorite Furzey and a small ones like in the National Garden Scheme that let you poke your nose into your neighbour's unusual garden (I may well join the scheme soon).


Today I was passing and visited the Royal Horticultural Society garden in Wisley (free to RHS members). It is vast and varied, it has all manner of gardens and plants - each plant clearly labelled, and the whole place felt as if it was on the verge of exploding into life; I knew I had to share it with you. We have excellent places to buy plants around London and those like Cants of Colchester that are to be avoided.

Definition of London? Anything inside the M25, or in stone throwing distance outside. Which is good, because it lets me show and talk about Wisley, which is Here.

(early visitors to this page may have noticed that the picture has changed, because I couldn't make up my mind which to post. If you are interested, here are 1 2 3 4 more.)

posted by Ham at 00:08 -- Comments here: 9

Comments on "Green grows my garden-O"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (09:44) : 

Been going around the DP blogs today and I've seen beautiful flowers all around! I love yours particularly because like you I love gardens too!

 

Blogger Anna said ... (10:19) : 

Magnifique

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:16) : 

Seeing the colours, textures and skill of the horticulturists, shown in the photograph you posted, is always a great pleasure. For me, the design of the managed wild space with the sculpture, in the other photographs, added surprise to the pleasure.

I am glad I did not have to choose which to post!

 

Blogger Kala said ... (12:19) : 

all those pictures are so colorful - I can see why you could not decide which to use, but wither way, any of them would have been spectacular!

 

Blogger Jenny said ... (13:11) : 

Brilliant color - is it an azalea?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (16:50) : 

Dead roses anyone? Cants are *very* happy to sell you substandard ones ;)

NGS - "I may well join the scheme soon".

It was suggested to me a couple of years ago by the local crime prevention police officer that joining the NGS (or indeed even being part of a village Open Gardens weekend) is not a terribly good idea as there are certain fraternities who visit gardens to case the joint. 4 of the 27 villagers who opened their gardens the year before last have been burgled since. Too much of a coincidence everyone thinks, and enough to put many locals off participating this year.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (17:42) : 

Jenny - no, I don't think its an azalea, but the RHS garden is chock full of interesting and unusual plants. I'm afraid I didn't photograph the label, so don't know what it is.

Thanks for that BW. May be a bit different because I'm in suburban semi land, and burglars regularly appear to bounce across back fences in some parts so they know the area pretty well. We have been lucky thus far (and fully alarmed) but the principle probably still remains the same. Hmmmm.

 

Blogger HappySlob said ... (19:19) : 

Gorgeous, Ham! :) I was so pleased when I dropped by today, because:

1. There was this stunning photo to enjoy and...
2. There was a photo of a chocolate factory, where I would likely live if they would let me.

hehe - Honestly, I love visiting your blog and always enjoy my visit.

Christina

 

Blogger perle de rosée said ... (20:10) : 

Beautiful spring colors.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile