Sunday, May 21, 2006

Marjorie, a Thames Barge



The story of the Thames Barge is a moral for today. This boat evolved slowly, over a thousand years, as a load carrier but paradoxically it was the coming of the age of steam that led to its greatest success. It could carry huge loads, it could be sailed with only three crew and it needed no fuel! This is a more general view.

The photo was taken as the Marjorie set sail from St Katherine's Dock, by Tower Bridge.

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 6

Comments on "Marjorie, a Thames Barge"

 

Blogger Sam said ... (08:51) : 

I love the old wooden boat with the modern motor attached, and the coil of rope and the life-saver...very lovely!!

 

Blogger Deetsa said ... (12:12) : 

Not quite the same as the tug-pulled barges we have here! I like the look of these barges more :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (15:12) : 

These boats must be one of the most evocotive scenes ever seen on "old Father Thames" thankl u

 

Blogger Pierre said ... (17:31) : 

Yes, evocative... If you forget the engine you have the feeling to be back in time, centuries ago... I feel I'm hearing some old sailor songs coming up from the foredeck!

 

Blogger Toulouse Photo Day said ... (22:24) : 

I love to visit docks, every time I go to london.

stéphan

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:37) : 

I don't know why but I really like this picture :-)

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile