Wednesday, May 17, 2006

The Rotherhite Tunnel



By this stage of the ride, I've got an idea where I am going, but I'm stopping off for the opportunity to show you the Rotherhithe Tunnel, built at the end of the 19th century. I'm standing in the road to take the photo because the tunnel is closed for a few weeks - so they can fix a gas leak that has been going for the last two years! One identifying feature of this tunnel is that there is a very sharp bend close to each end, you can see it if you look carefully at the large picture. That's there so that horses couldn't see the light too early and bolt! History and background is here.

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 9

Comments on "The Rotherhite Tunnel"

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (05:23) : 

A gas leak for 2 years? "She's gonna blow Captain", said Scotty! I can't believe that.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (09:02) : 

yes - that was my reaction when I found out, too!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:59) : 

Hmm i didn't know horses bolt when they see light :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:16) : 

This brought a flashback! My father took me through the Rotherhithe tunnel the night before my driving test, to improve my confidence. Shame about the sharp bend at the end! Still it did teach me to be careful not to 'kerb' my car and I am still driving 32 years later.

 

Blogger Mark said ... (13:43) : 

Arsenal or Barcelona?

 

Blogger Ham said ... (13:57) : 

anne, bear in mind that this tunnel is long, and would have been pretty dark too. Horses, god bless 'em, can be spooked by just about anything but are reasonably stoopid as far as "anything-I-can't-see-doesn't-exist" goes, so this is a sensible ploy.

charis, your dad sounds full of good ideas ;-) Do you remember the way everyone (Me too? surely not) drove as fast as you dared through the tunnel - especially the bends?

 

Blogger Ham said ... (18:54) : 

Mark - arsealona? Probably Barcelona, if I want to be honest, but Arsenal would be good.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (01:13) : 

Julia, this is two way! Trust me, you don't want to be anywhere in the area when a car breaks down in the middle.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (08:30) : 

Julia - there is a sharp bend at both ends.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile