Friday, June 23, 2006

Aladdins Cave



De Winter's Upholders is a soft furnishing shop in Kensington Church Street is a true Aladdin's Cave. It's a family business that's been here for 40 years, where the only thing on the web is a spider. OK, I confess, there's a little more to it. I used to help out here in the very early eighties. and this chap came in with these astonishing designs for clothes as part of his degree, and he was looking for luxurios furnishing fabrics to make them with. I helped him find them. He was John Galliano.

posted by Ham at 01:25 -- Comments here: 5

Comments on "Aladdins Cave"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (07:52) : 

Takes me back to when I was little in the early 70's and lived on Campden Hill Road. Although I don't remember this particular shop, I recall McFisheries supermarket at the Notting Hill Gate end and Barker's, Derry & Toms and Biba, which were all on Ken High St. How about a photo of the shop front, just to see if I remember it?

 

Blogger Manuel Tendero Gil said ... (09:26) : 

unas fotos muy buenas

 

Blogger Ham said ... (11:22) : 

gail's man - here it is - it was there, for sure!

Manuel - muchas gracias!

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (17:13) : 

very interesting post and story, I love can see those soft velvet fabrics but no no, they are not for SE Asia

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (23:26) : 

Ottime foto, complimenti

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile