Tuesday, July 04, 2006

The Eagle Has Landed



Following the friendly example of Eric, I'd like to wish all my American readers a very happy 4th of July.

This memorial is in Grosvenor Square, just outside the US Embassy and commemorates the 244 American (and 16 British) airmen who died fighting in the Eagle Squadrons before the USA joined WWII.

(detective quiz coming up on Thursday)

posted by Ham at 00:06 -- Comments here: 4

Comments on "The Eagle Has Landed"

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (05:00) : 

Thanks for this post Ham. I had never heard of the Eagles Squadrons before, and then I found this. Very interesting!

 

Blogger Jazzy said ... (09:34) : 

Nicely composed photo, eagle in the sky between trees. Grande.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (14:52) : 

Thanks very much Ham!

Comforting after just reading in the news about a poll in Britain where

"a majority of the Britons questions described Americans as uncaring, divided by class, awash in violent crime, vulgar, preoccupied with money, ignorant of the outside world, racially divided, uncultured and in the most overwhelming result (90 percent of respondents) dominated by big business."

I can't say I disagree with those descriptions and I hope relations can be improved. It saddens me to think of the US & UK at odds.

peace ~ rico

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (17:27) : 

Ah, will Michael's link give us hints for the upcoming quiz?
(BTW-loved your bath house murder mystery comments, too. Who can resist a good English detective mystery for summer reading!?)
-Kim

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile