Thursday, August 24, 2006

Hackney City Farm



As far as I know, London must have the closest farm to a city centre of any city. This cow in in Hackney City Farm which, although only a mile from the City, doesn't take the record because of Spitalfields City Farm, only yards from the city. In all, London has around 17 City farms, mostly in deprived areas like this. Is this a particularly British thing?

posted by Ham at 00:52 -- Comments here: 9

Comments on "Hackney City Farm"

 

Blogger John Nez said ... (03:13) : 

Here in the states they usually convert any otherwise unusable land into a 'natural wildlife area'.... which is another name for 'we couldn't use it for any other money making venture, so might as well let the birds have it'.

Not that big on farms here. No cows within the city limits here in Seattle to my knowledge.

 

Blogger Oleanderman said ... (09:10) : 

I worked in the City for years and certainly never saw a cow. I wish I had. As Joey would say, guess its a moo point now.

 

Blogger Sally said ... (10:45) : 

An inner suburb of Melbourne, Colllingwood, has a childre's city farm.

 

Blogger Ryan said ... (16:28) : 

Here in Orange County we actually still have a few farm fields in between large buildings but they are usually strawberry fields. No cows that I know of. I think it is because cows get 25 cents per pound and land gets $50,000 per acre.

 

Blogger ~tanty~ said ... (21:32) : 

What do you call this cow? We call it red cow here although the color of the skin is brown. This cow is kindly posed for you :)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (21:33) : 

Ah, now... there was a 'Government' project many years ago (1950s or 60s maybe?) to set up farms in what were then LEA Social Priority Areas so that city kids from deprived areas could have experience of farm animals. I can't remember all the details, but I'm sure Google knows :)

 

Blogger Gerald (SK14) said ... (14:24) : 

Last week I was going through some old videos and found footage of a "Challenge Anika" program about the Heeley City Farm in Sheffield. I used to live in Heeley years ago and I wonder if it is still going.

 

Blogger Gerald (SK14) said ... (14:29) : 

Answering my own question thanks to google -- heeley has its own website now but there's no mention of Anneka Rice on it!

 

Blogger ems said ... (09:27) : 

I think that Mudchute farm (Isle of Dogs) calls itself the biggest city farm in Europe so I am guessing they exist on the continent - I've yet to come across one though.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile