Monday, September 18, 2006

Cornucopia



Not what you might expect in London. I took this picture today at my local Wanstead Festival, not a country village produce show. Lots of stuff and stalls to see, music to hear and Stan's guided tour around was fascinting and informative.

Postcard prize goes to whoever can identify the most different items of produce in the display.

posted by Ham at 00:33 -- Comments here: 9

Comments on "Cornucopia"

 

Blogger Battlefields and Beer said ... (03:50) : 

No idea about the question, but the vegetables remind me of the Wallace and Gromit movie...

better hope the were-rabbit doesn't come around

 

Blogger ems said ... (06:57) : 

Excellent. I came home with a variety of squashes from the school gardener's allotment Friday.

I can make out yellow and green courgettes, pumpkin, butternut squash, patty pans, hops, celeriac, rhubarb and over the back there I cannot make out whether the basket contains onions or potatoes.

Nice photo!

 

Blogger Ham said ... (08:22) : 

Pretty good start there, ems. I just realised I wasn't being fair. here is a bigger version of the pic and here is the file in all its 4.5Mb glory.

 

Blogger Jing said ... (14:15) : 

:)
oo...nice vegetables!!!
anyway, i have no ideas about their names in english...Ham, if i can tell you in Chinese. :D

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (17:46) : 

It is really a big one! lovely, colorful shot!

I could only guess only the familiar ones: pumpkin, red onions, rhubarb, some courgettes (only the green ones) and really large cucumbers?

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (17:56) : 

beet? that's my guess

 

Blogger Kitten Heels said ... (18:15) : 

I think I can see marrow and I think possibly a turnip??? Where's Jamie Oliver when you need him?!

 

Blogger Ham said ... (00:03) : 

I declare ems the winner! well done - email me your address to londondailyphoto [at] gmail.com and the postcard is yours.

The ones you missed (that I can see) are: spaghetti squash (cooks like, well, spaghetti) kohl rabi and cherries.

 

Blogger ems said ... (13:47) : 

I did wonder if the purple thing was kohlrabi.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile