Saturday, September 16, 2006

A small shrine



London streets are dangerous, like any other city these days. After each accident, flowers seem to blossom overnight, and then slowly wither over the ensuing years. Strapped to lamposts and railings they look like sacrifices to the unheeding gods.

This one is a little different. Paper boy William was knocked off his bike and killed three years ago, but every time I go past there are always fresh flowers. Tonight as I drove by, there was a lit candle as well so I stopped to capture it for you. As I was taking the photo a stranger came up and shared the story of his young nephew, who died in a road accident in Liverpool. So spare a thought for William and his story, and take care.

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 6

Comments on "A small shrine"

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (05:26) : 

Ham, very touch post...

off the topic here: Ham, do you know if you're the next to celebrate DP anniversary? There's a list in the forum but I don't think it's a complete list...

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (10:14) : 

of course, I mean "touching"...

 

Blogger Jing said ... (10:36) : 

hmm...
Be careful when we are walking, driving...:)
touching photo~~~i agree.
...jing

 

Blogger jo said ... (11:35) : 

Your photo is a very poignant reminder of how fragile life is - it did bring a tear to my eye. My heart and love go out to his family.

Jo xx

 

Blogger Randy said ... (04:01) : 

Ham, this is such a wonderful photo and story. Thank you for sharing it. My thoughts go out to this family.

 

Blogger GaĆ«lle said ... (19:34) : 

Moving. Picture AND story.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile