Wednesday, October 04, 2006

Competition Time! - What is this?



I can't resist, I'm afraid. What do you suppose this stainless steel, glass topped building is for? London Daily Photo Postcard for the winner. Just guess, why not?

OK - now TWO prizes are up for grabs, the first to the right answer but as I am convinced that nobody will get that, another prize for the most creative guess!

(later) Well, I was wrong. Jing guessed correctly, well done! It's a sewage farm. Google Maps satellite view of it. On Sunday Mrs Ham & I cycled the Thames Path from London out to Dartford; when I saw this astonishing structure I had to take the picture. (Just be GLAD you can't smell it!!)

The "Try for the Creative answer" competiton is still running, I'll anounce the winner tomorrow.

posted by Ham at 00:26 -- Comments here: 18

Comments on "Competition Time! - What is this?"

 

Blogger Jean said ... (01:29) : 

My guess is a "television studio". There are sections for drama, game shows and general entertainment; chimney is for burning the scripts that did not make it!

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (07:52) : 

I'd say it was an incinerator. A new green type, that doesn't create so much pollution, which is why it only has a small chimney.

 

Blogger Curly said ... (08:31) : 

I thought an incinerator too, ideal for Livingstone's edicts!

Curly's Photoshop

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (08:37) : 

well with all those delivery bays it looks like the head office of a news paper or media station.

 

Blogger Sally said ... (09:01) : 

A branch office of The Eden Project?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:56) : 

Ok the bit on the right looks like a commonwealth games baton where fire would come out the top, the roof looks like a ski jump, so I'll guess a sporting institute of some sort. Olympic games headquarters?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:58) : 

My daughter ( 8 ) thinks it might be an indoor playcentre, perhaps with trampolines or circus equipment!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:36) : 

It surely is a fire station, we have some of those in France !

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (12:50) : 

an art school? anywaz, I think that's a cool looking structure.

 

Blogger Jing said ... (13:00) : 

whats this??
:P
Um...a factory? a museum? a incinerator? or a sewage farm??
I really don't have any ideas about it!
...so whats that,Ham ??
:D
...Jing

 

Blogger Ham said ... (13:27) : 

Well, well, well. Jing is right. It's a sewage farm. Google Maps satellite view of it.

 

Blogger Kate said ... (13:52) : 

A school for architects, perhaps burned out architects?!

 

Blogger Jing said ... (14:58) : 

:D
Just now I knew that I won the prize!!
thats amazing~~~I cant believe it!!
:D
Anyway, thx Ham !
I wrote back already~~~
hee hee, I am waiting...
...Jing

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (18:08) : 

Excellent.. I'm glad it's sewage related as it reminded me a bit (though much classier) of the new Abbey Mills Sewage Pumping station down Hackney way.

 

Blogger Chris of Dangerous Logic said ... (18:32) : 

The Cathedral of St. Swithin The Linearly Challenged?

 

Blogger ems said ... (21:19) : 

Damn! I visited far too late. I knew this one as I used to work fairly near by.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (08:08) : 

So.. the second winner. Some good ideas, but I think that it has to go to Vancouver's "Televison Studio" because - after all - they both do the same thing, pushing out quantities of ****.

ems - Better luck next time! BTW..... wasn't Kidbrook School, was it?

 

Blogger ems said ... (21:12) : 

No. My old boss is at Kidbrook though.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile