Tuesday, November 14, 2006

Autumn Harvest



This week's The Way We See It took me back to Exmouth Market. This is one of those London streets that retains a village atmosphere: excellent food and shopping not overrun by multinational chains.

They have a street market here on Fridays and Staurdays, selling the very best produce. These ceps were on sale at a stall and made my mouth water,

To make a mushroom omelette, slice and saute the mushroom with some butter and a clove of garlic, crushed. Whisk up three eggs with an eggs of milk and make your omelette adding salt and pepper to taste. Serve with chunks of crusty bread and butter.

posted by Ham at 01:08 -- Comments here: 7

Comments on "Autumn Harvest"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (09:26) : 

Not keen on mushrooms, as a vegetarian I do eat them, and I do keep trying to like them, but no, they're not my cup of tea.
Maybe I need to try a new mushroom omlette as you suggest.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (10:39) : 

John - a lot of people have problems with mushroom texture, and the things sold as mushrooms in most supermarkets leave a lot to be desired. Good mushrooms have immensely complex flavours. If you eat fish (?) I would try making a sauce by frying chanterelle or ceps with onion and a clove of garlic. Throw in a glass of white wine and reduce, pour on cream and serve with salmon or trout.

 

Blogger Kate said ... (11:18) : 

You two are making me hungry! Ham, I love the simplicity of the photo. It's rich in color -- and I LOVE mushrooms. Also enjoy looking at your collage of photos; thanks for the link.

 

Blogger Kevin the Collie said ... (16:15) : 

Mushrooms make great photographic subjects. I collect my own, and even I have managed to get some half-decent shots. I did not know Exmouth Market was so good, and I've lived here all my life - thanks for that!!
Flora

 

Blogger ems said ... (18:44) : 

Damn - reading this the word 'garlic' just jumped off the page. Realised I've forgotten to put it in my sausage and Puy lentil simmer. (All ingredients from a market - Borough).

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (05:52) : 

Wow Ham...didn't know you were such a cook! What time is dinner (or breakfast or lunch)??? I never enjoyed mushrooms until moving to Europe and now find the many ways to prepare them delicious.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (16:23) : 

i love mushrooms, any kinds of mushroom!

in fact my dinner tonite had shitake mushroom with broccoli, yum yum...

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile