Monday, November 20, 2006

UEL



If you fly in to London City Airport, chances are you will be confronted by these buildings and wonder what they are. They are the halls of residence for the University of East London in Docklands, and I thought they made a good photo opportunity.

posted by Ham at 00:17 -- Comments here: 21

Comments on "UEL"

 

Blogger Nathalie H.D. said ... (01:15) : 

Confronting, the word is appropriate. I'm not sure what to make of them. Wonder what the rooms are like inside?

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (01:40) : 

Where to place the furniture in a curved room?

 

Blogger Pierre said ... (01:49) : 

Beautifule architecture pic... Well balanced in all points!

 

Blogger Deb said ... (04:38) : 

incredibly dynamic photo. It's not a good photo opportunity, it's a GREAT opportunity. Nicely done!

 

Blogger Bunyamin Najmi said ... (04:56) : 

great composition...

 

Blogger JohnnyParsons said ... (11:03) : 

I am having a hard time imagining the interior. Are there just the two buildings of that construction? I dislike the word verification. This one isn't bad but some of the crazy cutsey ones are difficult for me to decipher.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:33) : 

I like this photo. How times have changed - when I was at uni (London Uni, not UEL, though it was such a long time ago UEL would have been a poly anyway!) my halls of residence were bare breezeblock.

 

Blogger Kate said ... (12:51) : 

I think the architecture is both unusual and inviting. I'd love a tour. Nicely photographed to give us a feel for the buildings.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (12:54) : 

Yes, it would be good to know how this building works inside... anyone reading know?

johnny - there are quite a number of these buildings in the campus. Most of them are white so it looks like a deformed Spanish village transported.

jackie - I was going to talk about the whole uni/poly thing, but thought better of it ;-)

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (13:31) : 

Most uni buildings are pretty basic. My son is at uni; his building is not nearly as eye catching as this but it's clean, safe and functional, right in the city (not london) and really that's all they want isn't it? I'm not sure they need to be aesthetically pleased as they roll home three sheets to the wind in the early hours! It's all good for wellbeing though i suppose. Very interesting, thanks.

 

Blogger Ame said ... (13:38) : 

Hi Ham! Long time no see! I LOVE this shot....and what COOL buildings! You'd feel a little like you were living in giant salt and (green) pepper shakers doncha think? And down below? NOPE! NADA! NOT ME...wouldn't jump for the halibut! I may have pink & blue hair but I'm not THAT crazy! LOL! ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (16:35) : 

Hmmmm, I'm not sure about them, but I have a friend who always said that she wanted a round house, so that she wouldn't have to clean in the corners. She'd love these. :)

 

Blogger ems said ... (19:23) : 

Wonderful buildings. I am concerned about the paintwork though - it'll soon look shabby.

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (21:00) : 

A new idea for battersea station!!!!

Being so close to the airport, does that mean they have that racket going on all the time of planes taking off and landing?

 

Blogger Ham said ... (01:29) : 

lynn - what they actually want is to be close to a bar. Apart from the uni bar, this is miles away from anywhere. Good for noisy parties, though.

ame - maybe its for supersize margheritas?

pamela - great idea, but I don't think student digs are going to be dust free.

ems - enjoy 'em while youcan ;-)

michael - it's London City Airport, so not that many planes. but yes, they are only a few hundred yards from the runway.

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (13:01) : 

True, Ham, true. Seems to be a lot of space above the top windows. Knock through the loft, put some extra windows in, build a bar! Sorted. Erm... as they say .. in those circles. Don't they?

 

Blogger Jing said ... (14:54) : 

twin buildings!!
:D
jing
beautiful!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:51) : 

I lost my virginity in one of those buildings! Yay!

 

Blogger phlegmfatale said ... (14:26) : 

wow! what a cool pair of structures!

 

Blogger Girl on A Train said ... (09:53) : 

My friend used to live in one of those... I used to say she lived in a 'pizza' for some reason. Looking at them now, they don't look like pizza's at all!
Tiny little ensuite bathrooms in there!

 

Blogger GaĆ«lle said ... (19:20) : 

That's quite unusual! Your photo is perfectly composed. I think I would have liked to live in a building like that as a student. Even though my old house in Brum was the best!

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile