Thursday, December 14, 2006

Cruciform Building



Today is another request day, this time for Emily, who asked for a picture of the University College, and particularly of the Cruciform building.

This old hospital is fascinating becuase until recently I could never have shown you what was so special about it. That is, until Google Earth. Here it is. (In case you can't make the connection - it is built in hte shape of a cross)

Now, the history makes no mention of it, but for years it was the Masonic Hospital and I heard tell that the shape was supposed to be esoteric. You make up your own minds.

posted by Ham at 00:49 -- Comments here: 7

Comments on "Cruciform Building"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (14:21) : 

Excellent.

And shocking that I previously had no idea of the shape and hence why the entrances were at those strange angles to the street (I was at UCL just across the road for 3 years, many moons ago).

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (17:56) : 

Ditto all of NiC's comment.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (19:52) : 

Ham, what street is this on? I stayed at UC London a couple of summers ago, but I didn't see this. I was by Gordon Square. I suppose the college could be spread all over London. Cool building!

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (23:20) : 

Yes. Looks lovely. So solid. I like the idea of the shape being esoteric. I've made up my own mind - that it is. lol.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (01:23) : 

Ruth, its on Gower Street, next door to the main hospital. It's not at all obvious what's going on, so don't be surprised.

 

Blogger Jing said ... (13:32) : 

interesting information.
and wonderful building~~
well, i like it,.

jing
shanghai daily photo

 

Blogger C. said ... (23:44) : 

Aw, good old alma mater! :) *sniff*

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile