Thursday, January 04, 2007

Beau Brummell



If you say "Beau Brummell" people - if they think of anything - think of an overdressed dandy. It was he, after all, who was the very first dandy. However he was, in fact, the master of understatement. He is widely reputed to have been the instigateor of men wearing suits. His life story is colourful as well.

This statue of him is in Jermyn Street.

posted by Ham at 00:01 -- Comments here: 8

Comments on "Beau Brummell"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (07:35) : 

I think seeing just the hand holding his hat makes such a great impact. Now I'll have to go read up on him.

 

Blogger ems said ... (08:11) : 

I have to be honest - I knew the name but not for what reason. Good photo.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (08:24) : 

And my favourite bit from the Wiki link..."He embarked upon a military career, but abandoned it when he learned that his regiment had been ordered to Manchester."

Who can blame him! Manchester!

Excellent.

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (09:28) : 

The dandy is a sight to behold, for sure. An actor friend once told me it was his favourite role to get, such fun. This is an enticing photo making us want to see more.

 

Blogger isa said ... (13:27) : 

Intriguing post. My hat's off to you!

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (18:41) : 

A nice detail for observation, I tip my hat to you!

 

Blogger Dsole said ... (23:00) : 

So elegant this shot!

madrid dailyphoto blog

 

Blogger Chad Oneil Myers said ... (06:21) : 

I like it, very cool.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile