Saturday, February 17, 2007

A piece of old(er) London disappears


Sorry, but it is too late. The photo is of Lassco's yard in Mark Street where they used to occupy St Michael's Church (you can just see the yard in the google earth photo). They were are (and still are) an architectural salvage yard of the first order. If you want to buy an Adams Fireplace for £175,000, this is the place to come. The old entrance to Mappin & Webb for £45,000? Can do.

But, as of February, they are gone from here. One of my first jobs {cough cough} years ago was near here and I used to wander through their marvels in my lunch hour, rather like a museum. It's rather fun browsing their stock on the Internet, even now.

posted by Ham at 01:02 -- Comments here: 4

Comments on "A piece of old(er) London disappears"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:42) : 

Heh, heh and I like the irony in that interesting "rebuilt" version of Big Yellow Taxi Cab. :)

Excellent place though, Lascos.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (13:43) : 

When you say gone from here, do you mean gone for good or gone somewhere else?

 

Blogger Kitten Heels said ... (21:57) : 

OK who will lend (and by lend I mean give) me £8000 for the red rocking chair? Ham that place is fantastic! When I'm rich I plan to buy lots!

 

Blogger Ham said ... (01:28) : 

Helen - Gone from the city, not gone for good.

The only thing I've bought from there is a door knob.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile