Thursday, February 22, 2007

Words are dangerous



Words have wings and no chains can clip them. Chalton Street is right by the British Library, where this scupture sits. It doesn't matter which language you speak this image will talk to you.

posted by Ham at 00:09 -- Comments here: 7

Comments on "Words are dangerous"

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (07:57) : 

Reminds me of the pens in banks that are chained up, so they don't get stolen. They just steal the money instead!spalding

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (08:16) : 

Interesting...

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:00) : 

This speaks to me about humankind's attempt to constrain God/Spirit/The Inner Light between the pages of one book or another. In escaping, the book is left in the shape of a chair where one may sit to ponder the truth. Any idea what the sculptor had in mind?

 

Blogger Ham said ... (10:32) : 

Anon, unusually I haven't tried to find out about it as I feel very strongly about this, too.

There are so many ideas and chords touched on, that it feels elemental. I'm not sure about god in all this, but it struck me forcefully as a visualisation of Prometheus Unbound, a statement of the power of words in the face of opression.

I was particularly struck by the way the window shadows form prison bars.

Some readers may know about Terry Pratchett's chained books in the library (they are chained to stop them attacking passers by, or escaping). Over the coming weekend, I'm going to be near Wimbourne Minster which has the oldest surving chained library.

 

Blogger Kim said ... (11:52) : 

Talk to me it does indeed! A wonderful image to share today.

I have a photo dedicated to you at SDP, Ham. Hope you enjoy!
-Kim

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (12:43) : 

what an interesting sculpture!

 

Blogger Lisi said ... (13:34) : 

that's an interesting art piece and the light in the photo is great and very symbolic!

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile