Monday, March 12, 2007

Well, well, well, you can never tell



Dont tell me this town aint got no heart.
When I can hear it beat out loud!

That line from Grateful Dead's Shakedown Street could have been written for Marchmont Street.

Hemmed in by corporate London on all sides, less than a mile from Oxford Street, this is one of the relics of a city mostly long gone - a place with genuine community. You saw the Ghanain community yesterday, today I've gone into "Perhaps", a small, privately run gift shop where you will find more than just the choice of Mr Hallmark, or Mrs Tie Rack. Their gift card selection is excellent, too. Marchmont Street is also this weeks TWWSI location

I used to live close by. I've watched it change - go now, see and support - before the future claims it for its own.

If you are psychic, you may see the shade of a twenty year old Ham, taking his washing to the laundrette each Sunday with his guitar, occasionally in ludicrous clothes, but that's another story.

Come to think of it, Shakedown Street could be the LDP anthem...

Dont tell me this town ain't got no heart,
you just gotta poke around.

posted by Ham at 00:07 -- Comments here: 4

Comments on "Well, well, well, you can never tell"

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (08:03) : 

Ah great post, Ham! Wonderful picture too, makes me want to go in there for sure. I'd love to have seen that twenty year old Ham in his ludicrous clothes! Never know, maybe i did..

 

Blogger Catherine said ... (13:39) : 

Well, Perhaps I'll go there next time I'm in London.

 

Blogger stromsjo said ... (19:52) : 

Same story here, I’m afraid. Packaging and styling. Superficial, most of the time.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (20:28) : 

Kenneth Williams father used to own the hairdressers in Marchmont street. The Williams family used to live above it. I may be wrong but i think Kenneth was actually born above the shop.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile