Friday, April 20, 2007

It ain't necessarily so...



I have a confession. Most opera leaves me cold. For some, the drama and the music aid and abet each other. I've never really seen it that way, although I've tried many times. Don't get me wrong, I've always enjoyed it and I love the music, but the live performances seem less - not more - than recordings. That was until Porgy & Bess at the Savoy. For the first time, I was truly carried along with the opera (yes it is an opera, not a musical) - may be time I gave opera another chance. Sound AND video excerpts are here

We went along for a matinee, very good it was too. Here's a tip that's obvious but still worth saying. If you are looking for a show ticket, Use google to search for something like "porgy and bess half price offers". Works a dream

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 1

Comments on "It ain't necessarily so..."

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:05) : 

Ham - wish I had seen that tip before I went two weeks ago. I too really enjoyed it - especially the 2nd half. Yes it is an opera but the programme notes suggest this production was pitched between opera and musical to encourage lovers of both and to my mind they've got it just right.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile