Monday, April 16, 2007

Poetry to my ears



There used to be many cafes associated with different activities - The Prompt Corner chess cafe in Belsize Park was my favourite. On Friday I called in to the Poetry Cafe in Betterton Street. - it's part of the Poetry Society. Pay a visit sometime - you know you want to..

posted by Ham at 00:08 -- Comments here: 6

Comments on "Poetry to my ears"

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (09:45) : 

A chess cafe? I'd love that! Please take a pic? Like the idea of themed cafes, never heard of them before.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (10:18) : 

Ah. The Prompt Corner disappeared years ago - it's now a pizza joint. It was a totally fascinating place, set out with chess boards and inhabited by mittel-european ex-pats,playing chess for money. The favoured game was lightening chess. The place had a ineffably bohemian atmosphere and made me feel as if I'd stepped back to the 20's whenever I went. Long gone.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (15:40) : 

Yea now that seems like a neat idea a themed cafe. Now I have a silly question. What's in the cup coffee and cream? Tea and cream?

 

Blogger Olive said ... (16:12) : 

That's such a shame. Does the pizza joint at least have good pizza?

 

Blogger Olive said ... (17:53) : 

So I just found this:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/uk_news/magazine/6559197.stm
Dicken's theme park!
And you are the closes DP blog i could find to Chatham (and since you know a lot!) I was wondering what you know about this??
When is it opening etc.
And what's everyone's feelings towards it?

 

Blogger Ham said ... (00:32) : 

Pastorrick - It's my esspresso!

Olive - never eaten at the pizza joint. The Dickens Theme park sounds..... well, I'll keep an open mind. I tried to visit Chatham Docks some time back but I was annoyed at the cost - GBP12 per adult. Each Christmas in nearby Rochester they have a Victorian Carol evening that is supposed to be quite fun.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile