Friday, August 31, 2007

A Desire Named Streetcar

 
Shot with Olympus E500
London is not a friendly city for cars. All sorts of Londoners choose not to own a car. But sometimes, you just need to drive. Here is the perfect solution. Since I first heard about it, I've been wondering how I was going to be able to feature a picture of the Streetcar idea, and then this chap pedalled into my field of view. What it is, is self-service car hire for periods as short as 30 minutes or as long as six months. Sheer genius. They do vans as well.

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 5

Comments on "A Desire Named Streetcar"

 

Blogger Sarah G said ... (03:01) : 

Love it! We have Zipcar here in Boston (and you have it in London, too!) and I use it...and love it. I really love not having a car!

 

Blogger Stiffa said ... (03:09) : 

philly has something similar...philly carshare. they have parking spaces all over time and you can sign up online for an appointment.

 

Blogger Harriet (the fshlady) said ... (12:44) : 

I got a leaflet handed to me at Seven Sisters the other day and I'm seriously considering signing up. They don't have cars in my neighbourhood but Stoke Newington isn't too far to go to pick it up. They park them on the street in designated parking spaces.

 

Blogger Unknown said ... (23:43) : 

4.95 an hour. Probably what this poor guy earns. Strange that there's no other vehicles around.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (08:03) : 

Indeed an excellent concept. I've ebeen trying to work out how it would work with us but have to admit haven't got any further than that as yet.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile