Tuesday, September 04, 2007

Underneath the Arches

Shot with Olympus E500
Underneath the arches around Waterloo used to be cardboard city, where down and outs congregated. These days its been cleaned up and gentrified, and now The Southbank Mosaics (a not-for-profit community exercise) have graced some of the walls with some excellent mosaics.

It's quite possible that you may not have seen them, even if you use Waterloo regularly - do step out your way to look at them, I promise you won't be disappointed. Here are two more pictures.

See where on The London Daily Photo Map

posted by Ham at 01:27 -- Comments here: 3

Comments on "Underneath the Arches"

 

Blogger Michael Salone said ... (06:03) : 

Hey Ham!

It took me a while to put it all together. I was looking for cardboard artwork, but when I clicked I understood. It's early and I'm tired. That's my excuse and I'm sticking to it.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (07:53) : 

I remember the area around Waterloo from years ago - there used to be a gallery of Felix Topolski's work - is that the same place? Reminds me also that I used to frequent the Hole in the Wall nearby - a desparate but colourful watering place after an evening at the South Bank. Is it still there?

 

Blogger Ham said ... (08:21) : 

Michael - the old cardboard city was unreal, lines of cardboard boxes, rather like dormitory beds, along each passage and in the underpasses where the IMAX cinema is.

Richard - the fantastic Topolski exhibition is still there, although I'm not certain if it is still open, this is nearby. And yes, the Hole in the Wall is still there although it isn't one I frequent.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile