Sunday, December 02, 2007

Doing Christmas Shopping

Shot with Olympus E510
London's Oxford Street was closed to traffic today and turned into a major party zone, basically to try to encourage people to shop.I'm not sure that I quite appreciate the commerciality of the whole enterprise, but overall this had to be a Good Thing. Everone seemed to enjoy themselves, like this marshall here.

posted by Ham at 00:10 -- Comments here: 15

Comments on "Doing Christmas Shopping"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (09:39) : 

Excellent...a wonderful smiley expression captured there.


PS: What's happened to Google comments? I seem to have lost the option I usually had to be me....

NiC

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (09:55) : 

I think it's called "Nickname" now - which is soooo appropriate ;-)

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (09:55) : 

oooer... let's try that again, Coz it was me (Ham)

 

Blogger Ham said ... (09:59) : 

More worrying ---- clicking on the image doesn't open the large version in a browser any more. Methinks Blogger have been playing silly @rses again.

 

Blogger Ham said ... (10:19) : 

Fixed that - http://groups.google.com/group/blogger-help-troubleshoot/browse_thread/thread/2dd3962c81fbef03 here is the thread for anyone interested, and http://knownissues.blogspot.com/2007/11/clicking-uploaded-photos-prompts-for.html here is the workaround

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (10:50) : 

So sorry for the commercialization of the season. Blame it on those selling stuff. I guess.

I like the looks of this guy. He seems to actually enjoy the day.

I wanted to describe the White Porcelain Duck I photographed this morning. I did put a picture of it on my Birds Blog as it is a new species I think

 

Blogger Z said ... (11:44) : 

Interesting concept, when many of us are trying to embrace a lifestyle involving less consumption. Trying being the operative word. Over here in Switzerland, most shops are usually closed on Sundays, but there are a couple of Sundays before Christmas when they're "allowed" to be open.

Thanks for the tip about the photo issue with Blogger.

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (12:54) : 

What a great smile he has. I think this sort of encouragement is happening all over, mainly due to the increase of internet shopping arising to the lack of people in shops. Yesterday was apparently the benchmark of retail statistics, so i suppose that's why the party was planned than. Hope you had some mulled wine and roasted chestnuts Ham?

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (12:54) : 

What a great smile he has. I think this sort of encouragement is happening all over, mainly due to the increase of internet shopping arising to the lack of people in shops. Yesterday was apparently the benchmark of retail statistics, so i suppose that's why the party was planned than. Hope you had some mulled wine and roasted chestnuts Ham?

 

Blogger Cheltenhamdailyphoto said ... (12:55) : 

Yes i noticed the new blogger thing on trying to open bigger pics too, on my site.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (13:15) : 

Not just Oxford Street, my dear. Regent Street, New Bond Street (not that this is usually one of my shopping streets), Davies Street, Berkeley Street and part of Baker Street - a huge chunk of Central London.

Blogger/Google are obviously tracking everyone (if they didn't do that already) and trying to make them part of the Big Network.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (13:23) : 

PS on consumption (sorry): vanishingly small consumption of petrol, gasoline and diesel until 8 pm.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (15:16) : 

Ham....

I left you an answer on my blog but not knowing if you know how to get back to my bridges post, here it is. You are welcome to delete it as it might be too long.


Yes, you are right, of course and in a fraction of a second the photos can be seen and enjoyed by a huge audience.

I really think about this since I do sometime write books and newspaper articles. How limited my audience is. If you sell 50,000 books that is enormous for most people.

I remember I have one book that sold close to one million copies but it took from 1974 to about 1989to sell that many copies or to reach that many people. One million.

Then I did a 13-week television series in 1989 and each week it was seen by 30-40 million people worldwide. Imagine that. There I was doing the same thing my book did but the audience changed and was enormous and it was repeated each week.

Now, the internet has an unlimited audience. I read a blog this morning and the lady had 260 comments. I have never had that many comments. She gets them all the time. Still, 260 people out of an audience of billions is really a pitiful performance isn't it.

The most I ever got here was over 180 and it was about my wife.

 

Blogger Wayne said ... (23:53) : 

He seems to be doing just fine, so maybe it was not too bad a day for him, not so much mayhem?
Thanks,
Wayne

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (08:07) : 

Whilst it was good to have Oxford Street free of traffic, it was a shame they hadn't managed to rid it of chugger scum. Robbers from Scope were stationed around Oxford Street near the top of Bond Street so that's another charity to be crossed off the Christmas Card / charity covenant list for good.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile