Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Shardenfreude

Shot with Olympus E510
Shardenfreude (n.) - The pleasure gained when completing a building with some resemblance to a shard of glass. OK, I know this isn't the real "Shard of Glass", instead it is the Broadgate Tower which is claiming its place as 7th tallest building in London. But I couldn't wait to use the line.

It's a very cleverly designed building: the angles used make it look wafer thin. A useless bit of trivia, it sits on a 60,000 tonne concrete raft stretching across the rails going in to Liverpool Street Station.

Labels: , , ,

posted by Ham at 00:35 -- Comments here: 2

Comments on "Shardenfreude"

 

Blogger Chuck Pefley said ... (05:15) : 

Building architecture is amazing stuff ... I really don't care what century. The ingenuity of men is remarkable. I was admiring the high rise glass towers on either side of me just this evening as I was on my scooter and stalled in traffic. Wonderful stuff. And built across the tracks to boot! Wow.

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (11:22) : 

I like these buildings but imagine an earthquake will make some glass company very happy.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile