Friday, September 19, 2008

Ghost Bike

Shot with Olympus E520
Ghost Bikes are small and sombre memorials for bicyclists who are killed or hit on the street. A bicycle is painted all white and locked to a street sign near the crash site, accompanied by a small plaque. They serve as reminders of the tragedy that took place on an otherwise anonymous street corner, and as quiet statements in support of cyclists' right to safe travel. This ghost bike is in Stamford Hill, and commemorates the life of Lucinda Ferrier, killed on the 23rd June this year.

On my ride to work this morning, I passed by a crash that killed a cyclist only minutes after it happened, here, not 50 yards from where another cyclist was killed a few years ago. Makes you think.

See where on the London Daily Photo Map

Labels:

posted by Ham at 01:21 -- Comments here: 1

Comments on "Ghost Bike"

 

Blogger Iron4rm said ... (19:03) : 

This really quite remarkable. I thank you for informing me as I've seen one on Old Street. It's quite macarbre now that I know. I wished I showed more reverance instead of taking tourist-y camera shots!

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile