Friday, January 09, 2009

The Frost Fairs

Shot with Olympus E510
Part 2 of frozen London rivers. The Thames frozen over must have been quite a sight. It used to happen comparatively frequently, the last major event was in 1814 - a full list is here and an account of Frost Fairs here. These slate panels commemorating the frost fairs can be found on the Southbank under Southwark bridge. Photographically uninspiring, but the concept fills me with wonder each time I see them.

See where on the London Daily Photo Map

Labels: ,

posted by Ham at 00:10 -- Comments here: 1

Comments on "The Frost Fairs"

 

Blogger JamaGenie said ... (00:23) : 

I never knew they existed either, but if I could spend the rest of my life in London, doubt I'd ever see ALL of its wonders, so keep these photos coming! Odd, never considered the "mighty" Thames could freeze over, but not surprised it hasn't for almost 200 years. Thanks for the bit of history!

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile