Monday, March 02, 2009

London Visitors - Art in the Picture - No 1 in a series

Shot with Olympus E520
I came across the site Art in the Picture website, which inspired me. What would it be like to take a camera to these London places? What would the image show?

Looking at the pictures, I realised that there were some I could copy in fact, and others I could copy in style. This first one is London Visitors by James Tissot in 1874, and I recognised the location as the National Gallery, so went for the straightforward reproduction. I think the Tissot original is a fascinating counterpoint to this, the interplay between characters is so different and so redolent of the time the image was made.

Labels: ,

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 1

Comments on "London Visitors - Art in the Picture - No 1 in a series"

 

Anonymous Anonymous said ... (03:30) : 

I love it. A photographer in my state did something similar. He took photographs of the same places that an early Colorado explorer took. The book is called Colorado 1870-2000. Some of the photos are visible in Amazon.com search inside the book.

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile