Wednesday, April 10, 2013

The Dandy Lion



I may be in a small minority here, but I have gone for years without knowing the etymology of Dandylion, I thought (mistakenly) that it must have been something to do with the bold flower, a dandy indeed. I knew the French for dandelion - pissenlit - and that it was called such because of the diuretic properties of the roots. But I hadn't realised that there was another French word - Dent de Lion, or tooth of the lion seeing the shape of the leaves. The penny finally dropped. This is a London dandylion, though.

posted by Ham at 00:02 -- Comments here: 2

Comments on "The Dandy Lion"

 

Blogger AkumaWolf said ... (17:28) : 

One of the few advantages of having a latin language (italian) as a mother tongue :)

Dente di Leone in Italian
Dent de Lion in French
Dandelion in English

Easy :D

 

Anonymous Muthecow said ... (23:26) : 

Interestingly it's also in the same in German:
Löwen (lion) + zahn (tooth) = löwenzahn (dandelion)

 

post a comment
Click for more recent posts Click for older posts

Name: Ham Location: London, United Kingdom View my complete profile